Out of Print Archive forum
April 28, 2017, 07:42:16 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doddcast  (Read 2019 times)
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »

As you might know, I love listening to podcasts when working on magazines and since I spend a lot of time working on magazines, I do spend a lot of time listening to podcasts as well.
The problem is finding for the most part is finding good ones with interesting topics by intelligent people who have things to say that are worthy to listen to.

For non video game podcasts that talk about fringe subjects I was lucky enough to come across both Mysterious Universe as well as The Gralien Report.

As for video game podcasts, well that's another story.
It's quite hard to find podcast in this field that don't annoy me at some level.
Perhaps not all the time, but depending on which guests are on, or which subject is being discussed, I often get to a point where I just want to turn the damn thing off due to the stupidity of a certain argument, misinformation that is being put out on purpose or by mistake, or in many cases due to blatant fanboyism which in most cases ends up with people talking about how terrible company X or Y is and how their favourite company is the only one that matters and does things right.

Well, I guess I'm happy to have found a new one that doesn't seem to push any of these buttons with me. At least not yet. Wink
So I'd like to share it with you.

It seems to have been going on for a long time and yet I came across it by accident as the person creating them doesn't go around advertising it all over the place like many other do.
It's called the Doddcast and can be found here.
triverse
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

I agree, it is tough to find gaming podcasts that are not annoying in many forms, at least to me.  I listen to about 35 hours of podcasts a week so I plow through a ton of content. 

I have been a fan of Mysterious Universe for years, since the early parts of Season 2.  I am not a subscriber though, I really should subscribe to their show and give them support so they can keep making newer episodes.

If you like the paranormal type stuff, check out www.jimharold.com, he has a "plus club" of his own and has moved everything older than three months behind his membership wall.  His stuff is hit or miss for me though.  Definitely one to make sure to read the description before downloading (unlike MU which is a guaranteed download).

meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »

Never heard about that one before. Will give it a try.
The most important thing is the host obviously.
The reason why I love both MU and The Gralien Report so much is because they aren't "true believers" if you know what I mean.
Ones who will believe any weird story that is put in front of them.
Love that they start out sceptic, but at the same time keep an open mind.

I've heard great things from Coast to Coast AM, but I don't think they do podcasts, only radio, so I haven't been able to check them out.
triverse
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »

Jim Harold tries too hard on his show.  That is why I have never thought twice about subscribing to his members only offerings.  He is a cool guy to talk with on Facebook but on his show, he just tries too hard.  It is weird, as he was promoting his new book on other shows (I believe he was on GR) he is like a totally different person.

Coast 2 Coast AM does podcasts for their members only.  They charge like $5.95 a month but you get access to the last three years of shows (none with Art Bell, I believe who is also doing his own show again).

Dark Matters with Art Bell is on Sirius XM radio, and available in podcast format too.  http://artbell.com  His podcast is also members only access though.
Nreive
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

I've never really been loyal to any podcast until lately.  As well as my passion for retrogaming, I'm also a fan of retro movies - a result of being heavily into movies in the mid 90s (basically, the time after my Mega Drive and before my first PC).  And there is a fantastic podcast which caters to my retro movie fix: http://forgottenflix.com/ .  A fantastic podcast hosted by two movie enthusiasts who know what they're talking about and go into great discussion about the movies.  They're up to number 102 as of now and I'm still playing catch up, having just listened to number 15 which focused on John Carpenter's cult classic Assault on Precinct 13.  Excellent stuff.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »

Holy crap! That looks just like the thing I'm looking for! Smiley

Going over their front page I already see Braindead, which I absolutely love to bits. (pun intended Wink ) as well as Dead Heat, which I totally forgot about. Such a fun movie.
As you know, these days I'm more of an Asian movie fan as Hollywood just doesn't do it for me anymore. Just about any big time movie that everyone goes crazy about tends to either bore me to death of annoy me to no end. Sometimes even both.
The last one I somewhat enjoyed was Pacific Rim, although I disliked about half the film. I'm sure you can guess which half. The one with the robots and monsters fighting like crazy, or the actors standing around and read a pretty terrible script. ;P

Have to say Drive was very good though, so there certainly are exceptions. Oh and Excision was pretty damn great, in a very messed up kinda way.
But for the most part I look towards the past for great movies that I've forgotten, or classics from Japan and South Korea that I never knew about before.

Some of my favourite English films are UHF, Weird Science, Spaceballs, Summer School, Big Trouble in Little China and The Blob, just to name a few that pop into my head.

Looks like I'm gonna have plenty of good stuff to listen to in the upcoming months.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: