Out of Print Archive forum
April 27, 2017, 08:48:07 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new forum  (Read 2483 times)
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

As you might have noticed, the board has been coming online and offline for the past 24 hours or so.
Yesterday the database crashed for whatever reason and got corrupted.
So I've been spending all this time trying to fix it with a previous backup that I had. Several in fact.

The best part is that nothing seems to work no matter what I try, so it looks like we'll have to start from scratch as far as the forum is concerned...

At least the magazine database and site itself remains unaffected and thus the main reason for the sites existence remains intact, as well as all the download links and such.

So feel free to sign up again as I try to get things worked out over here. :-/
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:31:07 AM »

Well it looked like something got messed up when I installed the anti spammer mod, so much so that the whole registration project was borked...
While I did appreciate the time me and Dan were able to share all by ourselves on the board for this past week, I think the better option was to fix it in the end. Wink

I might probably have seen it sooner, were it not for the fact that I've been terribly sick for the past week now and have barely gotten out of bed. Been having quite a bit of trouble for a couple of months, and it seems like it has gotten a bit worse.
That would also explain the lack of updates for the site and lack of work on new issues, for which I'm very sorry.

I'm taking a ton of medication at this point, so I hope to be at least a bit better by next week.
Hopefully I can start being somewhat productive again by then...
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

Well looks like I screwed up big time...

I thought that with correcting the previous registration error everything would be working just fine, but it seems like I was wrong. And very wrong at that...
Somehow a setting was set at Member Approval instead of Member activation, which does the following:

Member Activation
When this option is enabled any members registering to the forum will have a activation link emailed to them which they must click before they can become full members
Member Approval
This option will make it so all new members registering to your forum will need to be approved by the admin before they become members.

The problem with this is that no matter who registered, I never got a notification at all, nor did a new registration pop up at the bottom of the board letting us know that someone registered like it used to.
On top of this, the emails sent to the admin email get forwarded to my old yahoo account instead of my gmail one... :-/

Hope that all if fixed now, and I manually upgraded the accounts that I recognised between the spambots on the list. But if you aren't activated even after registering just let me know at nightiopian64@gmail.com

I should have caught this problem a couple of weeks back, but truth be told, I'm now on my 4th week of sick-leave from work. As you probably know from me whining on about not feeling well in the past, it's been going on for several months now. And I guess last month something just gave.
Starting to feel a little better now for the past 2 days, and I hope this time my condition remains to improve unlike last time where I finished up Mean Machines 9 and 2 days later I could barely get out of bed again.
Sleeping 13 hours a night and then going downstairs to brush my teeth, eat a little something to take all the medication and then pass out on the couch again for a couple of hours. Rinse and repeat.
Some days I swear I took more pills than I ate actual food.
Oh well. Hope the worst is behind me this time.

Sorry yet again for all the trouble and this whole big mess.
KiwiArcader

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

Getting better is probably more important than fixing forums to be honest. "Do what you can do when you can do it" is my advice. This is a hobby after all.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »

Yeah, that's certainly true.

But hey, it does seem to work again now. Smiley
sblack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »

What in the ....... I have no internet access for a month and comeback here and you been nuked  Shocked I thought you were gone forever  Cry

But Im glad to see everything slowly returning to normal. And I concur with KiwiArcader, your health is the more important than website Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:19 AM »

Nah, no worries. Something just seemed to have eaten our forum.
The site itself remained unaffected.
There's no real threat of the site going away anytime soon.
Even if I should kick the bucket, (which to be straight doesn't seem to be anywhere near what is going on as far as I know) the hosting service has been paid up until 2016 now I think. Wink

The doctor is on his way again right now as I'm getting a bit worse again after having a day or 5 that I started feeling better.
If it keeps up like this, I'm gonna make an appointment at the hospital to get everything thoroughly checked out.

As far as I know it's a combination of a prolonged sinus infection coupled with severe gland problem, coupled with huge amount of stress over the past year, or actually 3 years+ now and immense exhaustion due to several factors.
So all in all a big cocktail that makes me feel absolutely terrible most of the time.
Really starting to get sick of feeling this miserable as well. Been going on for a bit too long for my liking.

Edit: doctor came and went. Seems like the hospital it is. Gonna make an appointment tomorrow morning. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:50:35 AM by meppi » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: