Out of Print Archive forum
July 23, 2017, 08:38:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: meppi Work in Progress  (Read 10272 times)
BarbieOnWeed

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »

Really appreciate the work you put in to this,
to bad I canĀ“t help out with issue 10 of Super Play. Sad
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »

Oh I'm sure we'll come across a mint issue soon. This one certainly isn't rare or anything.
The nice thing about it is that once I have this issue here, the magazine should be finished within 1 or 2 days at most since all the other pages have already been completed. Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »

Bit of an update here so people don't think we're dead or anything. Wink

I just needed to take some time off and have a bit of fun doing other stuff.
Been working on Mean machines Sega issue 1 in the meanwhile, but it's certainly taken a lot more time to get done right compared to some of the easier magazines to restore. Doesn't help that it's basically a magazine and a half as well.
And only having 2 days a week to work on it certainly pushes back the release date significantly.
Still have the front cover to do which will take about an afternoon as well as 24 normal pages, but at least the end is starting to come into sight on this one.
samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »

Just wanted to log back in and say "hi" and thanks for all your hard work. I'm sorry to hear of your ilness and problems with scanners etc. I've recently downloaded all the Super Play and Mega issues that you uploaded and thoroughl;y enjoyed the nostalgia trip of going through devouring them all. Thanks again and all the best, Sam Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »

I thought that the cover for MMS1 would take an afternoon, but after looking a bit closer at the condition it's in it's clear to see that it'll take quite a bit longer than a couple of hours... :-/

I think this one is doable though so I'm going ahead with it against better judgement. Wink
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »

Some might say that "editing" a magazine takes no time whatsoever, so I guess calling it restoring a magazine is more apt from our point of view.

Case in point, just this cover alone took the better part of two afternoons to get just right and looking again like it did 22 years ago when it just hit the newsstands.

Might seem like a complete waste of time to some, but then again we do take our goal seriously. Smiley

meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:05 AM »

Look what came in the mail today! Cheesy

I do notice that the problems that made me put my previous copy aside also show up in this one, although to a much lesser degree.
So with a bit of editing, I should be able to get everything looking brand new again.
Also had to dig up my old scanner since this issue was originally scanned with the earlier version and I don't want certain pages to look different from the others. Wink

No ETA on the digital version yet, but I'll do my best to get it out as soon as possible. It just needs to be right.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

Even though I've got a week off from work and thought I would be able to do some major work, it doesn't seem to be turning out that way I'm afraid.

As some might remember, I've been looking to buy a new home and the last time I found one everything fell through at the last minute due to the seller being an asshole by keeping me as a backup in case he wasn't able to rent it out again by a certain date. Something that was kept hidden from me till it was too late.

Well, This past weekend, I have come across another home in the countryside that looked like something that would be quite nice with a bit of work.
So for the past couple of days I've been busy by running around like a chicken without a head trying to get everything worked out.
Not to mention start packing up everything over here in case it all ends up going the right way for a change.

It's only 6PM and I'm pooped. So much so that I'l just going to make some dinner, plop myself down onto the couch and watch Wreslemania and possibly play some video games if I don't fall asleep before that.

No idea what tomorrow will bring, all I know is that I won't be able to finish MMS2 or N64-8 with just one day left.

If everything goes through as planned, I will have even less time in the next 6 months or so, but those are worries for another day.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »

Bit of an update.
Last month has been really crazy.

As always, things just can't go smoothly over here. In the middle of a family situation with lawyers and all that fun stuff.
Luckily it's not on my own side, but still. That situation certainly messes up what would normally be a straight forward property purchase.
There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel though as I should know more 3 weeks time.

So yeah. Between working a full-time job and getting everything worked out with the bank as well as whatever needs to be done, I'm also constantly working on getting my current place into the best possible condition to get it ready to be sold.
Right now I finally have 2 days of being able to do nothing, so I'm gonna make the best of it.

Just finished the cover page for Mean Machines Sega which took close to 7 hours this time around...
Only have 10 pages left to restore, so I'm hoping that those go very smoothly so I can hopefully get this magazine released by the end of next week.

Can't promise anything at this point since something might come up that Id don't know about right now. But I'm certainly trying.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:17 AM »

Things are all looking good for a release tomorrow.

If I'm not able to make it, we should have it up by Saturday without question. Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 05:06:39 AM »

I'm putting N64 Magazine 8 though the last checkup before I start making the cbz files, so a release by the end of the week is looking good. Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 02:37:07 AM »

Just wanted to give a heads-up that things will probably go very slowly for the next couple of months.

As you probably already are aware of, I'm in the middle of buying a new home.
Nearly all the paperwork is done and last weekend I started working on renovating the home so that I can move into it by the end of August.
What this means is that combined with a 40 hour a week job, I just won't have any time to spend on scanning or editing magazines beside half an hour here or there, which isn't really anything tbh.

Gonna do my best to work on some remasters since those tend to go a bit faster. But even then, releases will be very slow and almost non-existent for the next couple of months.  Embarrassed
Nreive
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »

No worries, meppi. Moving house is always stressful. Hope everything works out.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

The moving in itself wouldn't be that bad, neither would the painting and putting up wallpaper.
The big problem is that there's some heavy renovation that needs to be done and right now, not enough money to do everything.
So I've got to prioritise.
And since the electrical equipment is not up to standards, it has to be redone asap. Followed by the heating system which is from 1967!
So the ceilings need to come out, which I found out haven't been isolated either. and since it's a bungalow, ceiling isolation is very important to not waste tons of money on heating.

So that's what I've been doing today.
Yesterday I had to install a new pond pump and water purification system since there live 8 big Koi fish and a dozen smal ones in there, and the water quality is anything but good.

All in all, tons of work and quite a bit of stress thinking about how my budget is going to make sense or not.

One big positive point is that I find myself not even wanting to return to my current house due to it's location and neighbourhood.
It's just so much more peaceful in the new home. Tons of birds chirping is the main thing you hear over there, compared to all kinds of noise from shitty neighbours right now.

Really love relaxing in the yard in between working on the home.
Right now, this is my favourite spot there.  Cheesy

(Please ignore the caved in waterfall, or whatever it's supposed to be. Wink )

meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »

For those wondering when a new magazine will be released, I guess I have a bit of explaining to do.

I reorganised my whole setup for scanning, joining, editing and uploading magazines so it would be less messy and make the workflow a lot more manageable.
One problem that has occurred from this is that I somehow mislabelled a couple of raw scan maps as work in progress ones, when in fact they were already completed and should have been deleted since I already had completed copies of them before.

Due to the hiatus from last year, coupled with my bad memory, I started editing Super Play 12 over the past 3 weeks and about halfway through I realised that I was working on the old raw scans from a magazine for which I already had a fully edited one.
So that's 3 weeks of work down the drain...

I'm making some good progress on Mean Machines Sega 3, but it'll be another couple of weeks before I get to finish this one from the looks of it. I've also been scanning in quite a few new magazines and just started on editing Super Play 13 and have been going through several of the oldest magazines that I've worked on in an effort to make them look even better than before and update them to look as good as the works that I'm able to deliver today, compared to 7 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:12:28 AM by meppi » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: