Out of Print Archive forum
November 24, 2017, 05:44:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: meppi Work in Progress  (Read 12128 times)
sblack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:20 AM »

Meppi appreciate all the time and effort you put into this. As much as I would like one magazine a week, I know it's not possible, especially as a Lone Ranger Tongue Anyway, keep doing what your doing, I and am sure appreciate your dedication. Smiley
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »

Oh believe me, I would love to be able to release a magazine every week at the level of quality that I'm happy with myself, but that would be an enormous task even without having to work 40 hours a week.
So with the job and all, it's sadly nothing but a pipe dream.

And I just can't see myself quickly scanning an issue and releasing it just to be out there.
I wouldn't be happy with the result myself knowing I could do much better.

Bit of good news, I was able to finish the remaster of Dreamcast Magazine 1 and it looks better than it ever did. Smiley
Had to go a little deeper in and fix all the black on white text as well since it had a blueish shine to it due to the process I used at the time when cleaning up the pages. So it took a bit longer, but the result is much better.
All those old issues will have to be done in such a way so it'll take some time, but on the other hand, it's a good way to keep from burning out by doing a single new issue and having to deal with a certain problem over and over again. As for some reason, that is very hard to keep up.

So having something a bit different and easier I might say, to work on certainly is welcome. Wink
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

I just finished up issue 1 of the official Sega Saturn Magazine and put it on my iPad to check it out how it looks now compared to the old version.
While the old version was quite nice, I'm extremely happy with the look of the remastered one.
While perfection might not exist according to some people, as far as my own work goes, I'm confident that I am not able to make it look better than it is at this point with my current skill set.

It might sound crazy to pour in so many tune into each individual page, yet it gives me great satisfaction to be able to do the original physical version justice with these digital ones. Smiley

Started to work on Super Play 1 as well and already ran into a page that will need to have a whole text section carefully reconstructed due to faded text.
Work on the next Mean Machines Sega issue is proceeding a bit more smoothly a and should be ready be ready somewhere in March.

OSSM1 should be released next Friday is everything goes as planned.
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »

A bit of good news.

I was finally able to finish up Mean Machines Sega 4 which was quite a task so it took a bit of time.
But the results are looking terrific as far as I'm able to see at this point.
I just need to go through each page once more to give everything one last checkup and then I can start creating the cbz's and site update.

Just a little teaser for what should be online by this time next week.
You can see the original scan with the wrong colour temperatures straight from the scan plate and then the corrected one for an extra little peek behind the curtain of what I'm talking about what having calibrated colour settings can really do in making these scans look like the real deal.  Smiley

meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

Did a big update on the work in progress first post in this thread.
This way it's much easier to keep track on each magazine and the state it is in as I go through them.

Been quite busy the past two weeks doing tons of work around the house as the weather is starting to get a bit better again.
Didn't have much time during my week of vacation to work on magazine, even though I really wanted to.
I did get the opportunity to do a good bit of scanning late in the evenings as I was catching up on watching a bit of tv.
But actual editing had to take a backseat.

Over this past weekend I was able to edit 34 pages of N64 Magazine 9 which is terrific as I usually am only able to do about 10 pages a day in the weekend, and sadly nothing during the week, besides joining pages together.

Been working on a special magazine as well to make sure that I have something completely different to put work into so I don't burn myself out.
Not that it's something I'll be able to release anytime soon I'm afraid as it's a bit too current right now.
Although the first issue of this one is celebrating it's 10th anniversary this summer.
Wasn't going to be working on it initially, but the publisher seems to have completely abandoned the publication which is a real shame.
Would have loved to see a completed official digital catalogue up for it but alas, it's not to be. Sad
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »

Well, we're good for another year.
Just got my bill stating that I was already 5 days overdue and that in another 5 they would shut down the site...
Well, here's a hint: Send me an invoice at the time my account should be renewed, not 5 days later! sheesh.

Hostgater share got a lot more expensive as well.
Used to be $120-130 or so, now it jumped to $173,50.
Not sure if this format is sustainable to be honest.
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 04:44:43 PM »

I don't know why, but I just love this ad! Smiley

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:49:03 PM by meppi » Logged
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »

It's been a while since I posted an update here and not just edited the first post.
But I've been scanning magazines like a maniac during my summer vacation.
Well after working on the house as always. But in the evenings I've been scanning about 3 hours each day.
Seeing as how I can scan 50 pages in 2 hours or so and everyone needs to be scanned twice, it's still takes a lot of time.

Being able to follow the New Japan Pro Wrestling G1 Climax 27 tournament this year certainly made that boring chore much more pleasant. Wink

I'm up to the last issue of the Official Sega Magazine (nr.13), so after I complete this one, that whole set will be scanned and ready to be joined back together and edited, while I move on to other sets for scanning.
pulstar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 05:19:58 AM »

Always appreciate your excellent efforts meppi!  Cheesy
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 06:58:28 AM »

Thanks. Smiley

After finishing up scanning the complete Official Sega Magazine set I started back on Mean Machines, for which I'm currently scanning issue 20. So after scanning the remaining issues of that set, I'll move on to Mean Machines Sega, Super Play, NGamer and Dreamcast Magazine to get a bit of variety going.

Editing will be going a bit slower going forward as my summer vacation is coming to an end and I'll have to return to work again on Monday. So time will be very limited once again.
Wanted to actually do a bit more this week but there was just so much work that needed to be done around the house and garden that I ended up working around 6-8 hours a day on full blast.
So much so that I seem to have overdone it a bit and pushed myself too hard, for which I'm feeling the effects today. :-/
I'm hoping that a day of resting and staying off my feet for the most part will do the trick and get me feeling a bit better again.
Wish I had a couple more weeks of vacation to actually stop working and enjoy some quiet time. Wink
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »

Oh, I just picked up something super special for me personally.

Been looking for this magazine for many years now, close to a decade in fact and finally one popped up that was still very expensive, but not prohibitively so.
Gonna have to keep it a bit vague till I actually hold it in my hands.
It might be something small for most people, but I'm really excited about it. Cheesy
Actually picked up 3 issues this past week. Wink
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »

I'm so happy!

Today I finally got my hands on the final remaining Club Nintendo magazines that I've been searching for for many years now.
The very first one was quite expensive (€54), especially for a magazine of only 20 pages.
But this is a set that I've been wanting to digitise and preserve for over 10 years now. Cheesy

I even got two of the other issues for free once the seller learned what I was planning to do with them!
Now, these are in quite bad condition, but I've done a couple of equally challenging restorations, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to get them all back to their former glory.

Gonna start scanning these next weekend. Smiley
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »

Well, I said I was in for a challenge when I stated my intent to try and resurrect issue 2 of Club Nintendo which is in rather terrible shape.

Over 6 hours later we seem to have our first page finished up. Smiley

Started off with the worst page of the bunch as I would have kicked myself if I ended up doing all other pages and this one was impossible to restore.
So I'll have it at least a bit easier with the rest. Well besides the cover page, which I'm sure will give me quite a few headaches just looking at it.

Then again, the end result will be worth it. Wink
retroking1981

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »

Top work mate, looking forward to the uploads  Smiley
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »

Nice to see you here! Smiley

As you see, I should be able to resurrect issue 2 albeit with a lot more hours to put into it.
I came across some really tough parts in this page, but in the end it all worked out.

Issue one is a much easier magazine to work one. As you know very well, it's basically in mint condition. Wink
I only have 3 pages left on that one before I can wrap it up, but got sidetracked on page 19 of issue 2 as my mind kept wondering if I would be able to even do it. So I had to step aside and give it a shot first.
During the week I basically have no time to work on magazines so my weekends and vacations are the days that I need to concentrate on for getting as much work into them as possible.
I think this week I'll be able to release a Sega Pro remastered issue that I have finished a while back and after that should be issue 1 of Club Nintendo.

With a bit of luck, as well as another generous donation, I should have close to 200 Nintendo magazines to work on, many still brand new and unopened from the looks of it.
So I certainly have my work cut out for me for the next decennia. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: