Out of Print Archive forum
November 23, 2017, 08:11:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: meppi Work in Progress  (Read 12109 times)
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 05:22:20 AM »

Already started scanning the first issue of the official Nintendo Magazine by EMAP (issue 54 as it continued on from Nintendo Magazine System) and came across this guy!

That sure brought back the memories! Cheesy

I wonder what it would take to convince Sakurai to put him into the next Smash Bros. Wink
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 03:29:13 AM »

Just wanted to let you know that it might take a bit more time to get newer updates out.
While I'm continuing to work on unreleased magazines I've run into a bit of trouble when it comes to my health again.
Not quite sure how serious it is as I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I've not been well for the past 2 weeks or so now.

My best guess at this point is over exhaustion since I worked 3 times as hard during my "vacations" this past summer than I normally do at work. So I haven't had any real downtime for over 6 months now.
I'm just hoping I'm not heading towards another burnout where I spend 16 hours a day sleeping because that wasn't much fun a couple of years back. :-/

It's not that I have burned myself out on magazines, far from it in fact. I haven't been as excited to work on new ones for years now.
It's just that I'm not feeling well at all.
That's actually quite an understatement as my body is telling to to lie down all the time. Wink

So I'll keep working on magazines as much as I can, but I think I'll need some time to recuperate which will most likely equal a lot of downtime for me personally.
So don't panic, releases are still coming. Just at a slower pace.
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »

A bit more bad news I'm afraid.
I just found out that I will need to throw out a whole bunch of scans that I did over the past 4-6 weeks.
Seems like I've worn out another scanner. So that would be number 4 now.
How I work is that I tend to scan a bunch of magazines in the evening while I watch some tv or Youtube specials (mostly retrospectives and retro gaming anthologies and such).
And when I got a bunch of those, I rejoin the pages later on as I scan each page twice, once from the left and once from the right to avoid spine blur and  such.

Well, as I was working on putting together several magazines I noticed a certain problem cropping up over and over again.
4/5th down the page most of the time, either left or right, there will be a sort of distortion strip, mostly 5mm tall. Sometimes this went by unnoticed, but at other times it ran through text which either squashed it, stretched it out in length or just distorted it.
I thought it might be due to putting to much pressure on the lid while pressing down the spines on the scan plate, but I've been trying everything I could to remedy this and nothing works.

So I've ordered scanner number 5, which should arrive tomorrow.
Since they don't make the exact same model of scanner that I've been using over the past 8+ years now (went through 3 of those), I had to pick the one that followed it up.
Hopefully it'll do everything the old one did in the same fashion, otherwise it will be a pretty huge undertaking to get all the colour gradients back to the specific levels where they should be. :-/
We'll find out tomorrow...

So, another setback. But hey, that's bound to happen when you scan thousands upon thousands of pages.

Edit:
After spending an afternoon going though my drives, it seems like it's a bit worse than I imagined...
Looks like everything I've scanned from August on needs to be trashed. There are way too many pages that seem to be affected to try and salvage the ones that don't. I started doing this, but it would take even more time to do it instead of just rescanning them with the new scanner. Which already takes over 4 hours per 100 page magazine.

I even came across scans from May that seem to be affected. Looks like certain days were much worse when others were perfect, so the scanner must have started having trouble earlier this year and degraded from there.
I do think that those earlier issues will be salvageable. I'll go through every page meticulously and rescan the ones that need it.

But so far I have 40 folders encompassing 140GB of data that's worthless now. Including all the Nintendo Official Magazine issues that I've scanned since receiving the huge donation. Sad
Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Damn

edit 2:

Well it gets even worse.
So far I've been able to find pages that have these issues all the way back to December of 2016... sigh...
This doesn't include released magazines though, so those should all be safe.
It's only my backup work which I had started joining and editing but none of these were released so far.
Gonna have to see just how bad it is and if it's worth to go through all those pages and rescan the ones that need it, or if it will be better to bin them all and do a full rescan of these issues.
What a mess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:31:19 PM by meppi64 » Logged
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »

Well, time for a bit of good news I think.

After 2 days of experimenting with all kinds of settings and techniques I finally got the new scans to look perfect.

Getting a new scanner always is a headache since no 2 scanners work the exact same way, well unless they are of the exact same model and calibrated.
But since this was a newer model and the original scanning software wasn't compatible with the new scanner, I had to get the new software.
Which naturally did all kinds of weird things to the scans and made them look washed out and, well kinda weird to be honest.

But now that I got my Photoshop settings to compensate for all that, we should be good to go and ready to pick up from where we left off.
Gonna be a ton of work as always, but at least this part is taken care of.

When I get a bit more money, I'm going to order 2 or 3 more scanners of the same type so that I don't run into this kinda thing again anytime soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: