Out of Print Archive forum
August 21, 2017, 12:21:20 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Revisiting the PSP  (Read 2366 times)
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »

For some reason the PSP never really clicked with me at the time when it was on the market.
One could argue that systems are still being sold and even that games are still being released, at least in Japan and once in a while in the US as well.

Don't know why exactly. Perhaps because I had way too many games to play on my other new systems at the time, which would be a DS and a Wii.
I did import a Japanese PSP just after launch since the European release was still far off and not even set in stone back then.
Got Lulines, Minna no Golf and Ridge Racers with it and when it finally got released over here in Europe, I immediately bought WipEout Pure and played the game to death.
Really loved it for a short while but it then quickly fell by the wayside.

Now nearly 10 years later I suddenly felt the urge to go back and look at all the great games that have been released on it that I missed out on, a lot of which that can be picked up for very cheap.
I'm really surprised at the scope and variety of the catalogue and after only a week of research I have been pleasantly surprised by some titles that I didn't even had a clue existed.

This is one of the most fun things for me to do in this hobby. Searching and discovering new games that I didn't realise were even made.
I bought a couple of games from PSN on my Vita, but somehow I just love physical media and the thought of collecting those tiny discs and playing them in their non digital format really appeals to me.

Already ordered a ton of games online so next week will surely be overwhelming as the packages start coming in.
Even though I must have played WipEout Pure for hundreds upon hundreds of hours almost a decade ago, I found myself playing the game long into the night yesterday evening as I started a new save file. Even ran down the battery of my newly acquired PSP E1004 model. Smiley

Wasn't crazy about this model at first as the build quality feels very cheap since everything is made of plastic, but I'm coming around to it now that I have played it for nearly 10 hours already.
The screen certainly is great and when playing with headphones it doesn't really matter that the built in speaker is pretty terrible.
Still, I'm contemplating ordering a new Japanese PSP 3000 since that seems to be the only country that you can still buy them from brand new...
Really loved the feel of the old system, even though it's much heavier. The loading bay is also much nicer in the old model and again feels extremely cheap in the E1004 one.

Already got a couple of new games in and can't wait to try out all the others that will be arriving soon.

So if anyone has recommendations, please let me know.
I'm into just about anything except for sports games, unless they are crazy arcade type ones.
I'm open for Japanese only releases as well and love some quirky stuff that doesn't make sense. Wink
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:07 AM »

Got the first couple of goodie-packs in today. Smiley

samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »

I got a PSP1001 a couple of years ago, mostly to play emulators on. Out of curiosity I must admit that I was very naughty and downloaded a load of PSP roms to see if any of the modern games were any good. I took the "moral" decision that if I enjoyed any of them and could forsee me playing them a lot I would buy the physical versions of the games - which I did, although I still actually play the games from the images on the memory card as it loads quicker and saves the battery life and elongates the life of the drive.

Games which I actually bought physical copies of because I thought they were good were:
Ape Escape: On the Loose, Burnout Legends, Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Dead or Alive Paradise, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, Lemmings, Little Big Planet, Loco Roco 1&2, Me & My Katamari, Metal Slug Anthology, Namco Museum Battle Collection, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, PaRappa the Rapper, Power Stone Collection, Puyo Pop Fever, Ridge Racer 2, Sonic Rivals 1&2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Tekken: Dark Resurrection & 6, Tomb Raider Anniversary & Legend, WipEout Pure & Pulse

I've not tried them, but I've also heard that the Metal Gear and God of War games are good.

Obviously a lot of the above are ports or sequels to games you've probably already played, so if you're after something more original I'd particularly recommend Crisis Core, Loco Roco, Little Big Planet (different to PS3) and Sonic Rivals Smiley If you don't mind obscure, slightly pervy games then Dead or Alive Paradise is very pretty... if you want a long lasting challenge, Vice City Stories is good, as is Burnout Legends, which is like a "greatest hits" mashup of Burnout 2,3 and Revenge.
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:09 AM »

I certainly don't have a problem with percy games. Wink

Anything but sports really, unless it's something like Beach Spikers or arcade like Mario Sports games or so.

I actually went a bit nuts and was able to buy 2 separate lots from a previous collector as well as import some great stuff from the US and Japan.

This is my collection so far:

Like I said, I went a little nuts. Wink

The Japanese games are: Ridge Racers, AI Go, Minna no Golf, Darius Burst, Grand Knight History, Dynasty Warriors and WipEout Pure for the Japanese exclusive DLC tracks.

Still a lot of games to go, but I'm blown away with how much I've been able to get in such a short timespan.
I did soft mod my system last week as well, mainly to be able to up clock to 333MHz so WipEout runs quite a bit smoother and to play Progear no Arashi which has never been released on anything but an arcade board.
samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »

Wow that's a nice collection you're building there!  Shocked Yep that's a lot to acquire in a short time - enjoy them man! The PSP is a great system. Glad to see some NGPC games just below there too! Cool
meppi64
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »

Yeah, I've been going quite hard these past couple of weeks.
Will probably take it a bit easier in the coming months. After all, I need to find time to actually play all of these as well. Wink

But not before I got these in! Wink

Good spotting the Neo Geo Pocket stuff. My NGP collection is not that big though.
Just for you:

Got my brand new red and blue Japanese PSP300's in yesterday since they only sell those plastic budget PSP E1004 over here now.
Added a nice hidden gem on the DS in that pic btw. Brilliant puzzle platform game with very catchy music to boot.
The series has seen releases on the PSone, DS and PSP, but sadly never got a release outside of Japan like Umiharakawase.

Luckily the latest Umiharakawase: Sayonara Umiharakawase is coming out next week for the 3DS in Europe on the e-shop and has been on the US shop for a month now under the name Yumi's Odd Odyssey.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: