Out of Print Archive forum
March 23, 2017, 12:15:02 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The French version of Mean Machines: Consoles+  (Read 2554 times)
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:43 AM »

This morning I was thinking back at the time where I started importing magazines from different countries.
CVG from the UK, EGM from the US and JoyPad from France among others.
Then I remembered there was this site years ago that concentrated on French magazines, and even though my French is not very good at all, I decided to take a look if it was still around. it was. Smiley

But to my surprise, I stumbled over something called Consoles+.
Never been able to read the magazine myself, but I remember seeing it before. Must have been advertised in JoyPad all the time back then.
What I didn't expect to find was how this magazine is pretty much exactly what Mean Machines was in the UK, except for a different staff naturally.
From the first issue I quickly browed through, it was also a great surprise to see them cover not only Neo Geo stuff, but also PC-Engine games like Liquid Kids for instance.
It shouldn't have come as a big surprise since JoyPad was full of imports as well back then and France had a huge import culture in the 16 and 32bit days. Not sure if that remains to this day.

Anyway, for those who might be interested, be sure to check it out here.
dan

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

Ah Yes, I remember seeing this posted on the NGamer forums a while back (when the magazine still existed!) about scans of X64 magazine (or D-Pad 64 as N64 mag used to call it).

Its amazing to think of the amount of content that was was lifted from the UK mags and basically translated for Europeans (and Australians to a certain extent as Kiwi has proved with his recent releases) just look at the covers of X64 for instance, they seem to be partly N64 mag covers (and taglines), partly similar ones and partly (badly put together) brand new ones.

Its very weird seeing different covers for your favourite magazines, thats for sure!

Dan

meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »

It really is. Never heard about this one before sadly.

I remember there being a Dutch magazine back in the SNES/MD days that did the same thing. Can't quite remember which one though. Think it was something along the lines of Super Play or something like that. Not sure if it might have been Power Unlimited.

I know N64 Magazine has a French version as well as I actually have a couple of issues of it. Most if not all of the content was simply translated and put back into place. Sometimes picking articles from different issues to put into one French edition.

I was going to say that this doesn't seem to be the case with Consoles+, but then I came across some obvious examples:

Original from Mean Machines 9:

Translated one from Consoles+ issue 1:

Still. I have to say that the majority of their content all does seem to be original.
And with some terrific exclusive content to boot! Huge amount of PC-Engine stuff it seems.
Which make a lot of sense since Mean Machines was originally meant to cover Nintendo, Sega, NeoGeo and PC-Engine, but since it was becoming clear that the PC-Engine was not getting an official UK release, it was scrapped and replaced by the GX4000 which was soon dropped as well to concentrate on Nintendo and Sega.

Really wish my French was better as I love reading PC-engine and Neo Geo stuff since it's so hard to come by in magazines.
I can read it for the most part but not effortlessly to say the least.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: