Out of Print Archive forum
April 27, 2017, 08:47:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: uk contribution  (Read 2512 times)
flux

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

hi,

i was just wondering if this is a uk based site?
i've been looking at retro mag sites and they have all been US or NZ based.

thanks
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »

Hello and welcome to the board. Smiley

I wouldn't say this is strictly a UK based site, even though Nreive is located in the UK. I myself am living in Belgium and Triverse is from the US.
The reason why just about every magazine on the website is from the UK is because back when I started, most of the stuff people focussed on was from the US. So I wanted to balance things a bit out.
This is also why my catalogue is very Sega centric, even though I love Nintendo just as much.
Everyone tended to focus on Nintendo only magazines, with very few Sega stuff being preserved at the time.
I've got quite a big collection of EGM issues myself for instance as well as a good collection of French Joypad magazines and quite a lot of Dutch language magazines as well , but I especially love the style of magazines that were released in the UK.

Due to the way life tends to go, both Triverse and Nreive have had to take a step back from digitising magazines and focus on the more important stuff such as family and work.
As you might have seen over the past year or so, my output sadly has also been diminished, which explains the low release rate of magazines that we have right now.

I've got a bunch of Japanese magazines (Sega Magazine from the Saturn days and several Neo Geo Fan issues) that I would love to put out as well, but as with the tons of Dutch magazines, I figure that most people really want to see English magazines since those are the ones they can actually read. Wink

I would love to be able to work on quite a bit more, but due to time constraints I tend to stick to certain series which are either hard to find, or which I've started a couple of years back and want to see completed in digital form.

In the end, I just love the look and feel of UK based magazines and thus, my personal collection certainly reflects this.
Be that the design, writing style and type of content. But certainly also the personalities that popped up in these magazines. Smiley
It also seems to be a heck of a lot easier to get permission from UK publishers to work on their back catalogue than it is from US ones, which is always a big plus.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:16:06 AM by meppi » Logged
flux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »

Thanks for the response. Lots more info in there than i expected!
I've recently discovered a couple of boxes of old magazines that were in storage. One is console , the other PC gaming.
Console ones are mainly mean machines and super play and the PC are PC review and PC zone and pc gamer and few old copies of edge.
Not entirely sure what to do with them....
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

I'm purely a console player myself as I know little to nothing about PC gaming besides spending 6 years playing Half-Life 1 deathmatch. Wink

I should have every issue of Super Play and Mean Machines myself in mint or near mint condition, although I can't be sure if a random page here or there might be damaged as I keep them in safe storage and only go through them myself once I pull an issue out to get scanned.

Edge is something we certainly can't touch since still in publication.

I know Nreive has quite a few issues of PC Player and he might have the full set, but I'm not sure.
As for the other magazines, I think he should be better qualified to comment on them.
Nreive
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »

Hey, flux. Nice collection of mags there.

As meppi mentioned, we don't touch magazines that are still in print so that goes for PC Gamer as well.  I like both PC Gamer and Edge, but while they are still going they will not be appearing at OoPA.

I have a good run of PC Zone issues from the late 90s.  Post 2000 is still a no no in my eyes, also I stopped getting many magazines from around this time as well, so the nostalgia factor is not the same with the mags from this era.

Although I have acquired a few PC Review magazines in recent years, I don't know much about it apart from the fact that it was once published by EMAP before being bought by Future.   
KiwiArcader

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

@ Flux

By USA and NZ I guess you mean Retromags and OldGameMags? I think you will find both the above sites are hosted in the USA and it's merely your perception they are what they are based upon the content of the sites and/or that some of the scanning members are from those countries. That is a somewhat mistaken way of viewing things as you will find both sites have content from around the world.

In regards to OldGameMags (OGM) specifically, yes, I own the site and I am from New Zealand but I also have scanning members from Australia and the UK and you will find a LOT of UK content as well as Australian/New Zealand on the site. Not a lot of USA content actually. Content comes about from people scanning their mags or donating their collections to the cause. Not many do so these days. I guess making a buck or two off EBAY and the like tend to ensure only the really dedicated are prepared to donate magazines. Rest assured though that if someone were to approach OGM with a view to donating their magazines to the cause that we do have people on both sides of the world able to receive them. In a couple of cases I have even paid to have magazines shipped from Europe to New Zealand.

Meppi raised a good point too. I tell my scanning members that they should scan what they want, when they want as there are so few of us doing so that I don't want the guys burning out because they feel they HAVE to submit certain types of content. That's why Meppi does Sega and some of my guys put out Nintendo content. Everyone's a winner at the end of the day...
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »

Oh absolutely! Working on content that you actually love or at least enjoy is a must.
Especially when spending so much time on these things.
I love Sega and Nintendo about equally, although I have a soft spot for Sega since they always seemed to draw the short straw and didn't deserve what ended up happening to them.

Heck the most recent happening that I'm still very sad and bitter about is the closure of Nintendo Gamer magazine, and that was a Nintendo only publication.
Yet for me personally it perfectly captured what I loved so much about the magazines from the 90's.
So it certainly doesn't have to be a Sega only publication for it to get me excited. Wink

If I had to work on PC stuff myself for instance, I would lose interest so quickly as I've never been a PC gamer. Well besides MS-DOS games in the 80s. Bruce Lee!!!! Wink
With the micro stuff it's a bit different. I only played on friends C64s and a couple of other systems I don't remember fully.
But my knowledge of it all is extremely limited. And in this day and age, I find it very hard to get into, even though I love retro throwbacks like the games by Jeff Minter has been making these past couple of years.

So yeah, working on something for which you are passionate about is a lot easier.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:06:17 AM by meppi » Logged
flux

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Thanks for all the info  Grin
I've started to take photos of them all. Got most of the console ones , but a lot of pc ones to go!
http://s206.photobucket.com/user/fl_x/library/Retro%20Mags
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »

Those seem to be in mint condition. Very nice!
If I didn't already have those console magazines already, I'd be very happy to receive them, that's for sure.

Oh and be sure to keep an eye on the site the next couple of days  because one of the issues in those pictures is bound to pop up sooner rather than later! Wink

Little hint, it includes one of my favourite and quite obscure Mega Drive games.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »

Just wanted to let you know that that magazine arrived safe and sound this week. Smiley
Been quite busy so I haven't gotten the time to start scanning it in yet, but I'll get the jump on that tonight while I watch some good old Pro Wrestling. Wink

Didn't expect it to be this big though!
It clocks in at over 200 pages, so it'll be a while before it'll be ready for release.
Scanning alone will take about 8 hours, without putting both parts of each page back together again, straightening and cropping. Let alone editing. But rest assured, I'll be working some overtime on this one. Wink
flux

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »

So which is your favourite (and obscure) mega drive game?

My favourite is definitely Magical flying hat turbo adventure.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »

That's a tough one as there are quite a few.

I certainly love Pepenga Pengo since I grew up playing the Arcade original so much.
Wardner No Mori Special certainly is way up there, as is Panorama Cotton. Although I only have the cart of that last one, not the box or manual.
Dune 2 is absolutely brilliant, but I wouldn't call it obscure. Although you never see anyone talking about it these days.
It certainly is my favourite RTS of all time.
Sub Terrania is tons of fun.
Really loved Jewel Master back in the day. A little rough, but great game nonetheless.
Dangerous Seed is a fun Namco shoot em up that I don't think got a release outside of Japan.
Arnold Palmers Tournament Golf is one of my favourite golf games ever made.
And I remember having a ton of fun with Crackdown, which is a game no one seems to mention nowadays as well.
flux

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:32 PM »

Dune2 was great, i didnt actually know it was on console, played that one on PC. i've still got dune the original too.
It got me hooked into the entire C&C series.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »

I tried to start scanning the magazine last week, but ran into some trouble when putting the pages back together.
Namely a thick blurry stipe at the side of most pages.
This wasn't the first time I ran into this problem as I had the same issue with the MAXIMUM series.
The thing is, since these magazines are bound like a book and have quite a bit more pages to them than a regular magazine, these deformations are basically impossible to circumvent.

There's one way but I really hate doing it...
That is to rebind the magazine, or basically cut the spine off.
Hated doing it to my MAXIMUM issues and I hate doing it to this one as well, but it's the only way to create picture perfect scans so it's something that has to be done...

So I just created 160 scans which will combine into the first 80 pages of the magazine once I put them back together in Photoshop.
I'll try and scan about the same amount of pages tomorrow as well as next week and then I can finally start on editing this big book full of content in between all the other magazines I'm currently working on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: