Out of Print Archive forum
June 24, 2017, 07:56:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken links and Corrupted files (requests for re-ups)  (Read 7593 times)
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »

Since we can't manually check every single link all the time it might be a good idea to have this topic stickied.

Once in a while a file will get corrupted or like VoltureStreet just notified me, due to a server fault, the hosting site might simply lose a file once in a while as they upgrade their equipment.
So if you come across a magazine that is not available but does have a download link, please post in here or send me a PM to let me know and I'll fix it as soon as possible.

Same goes for links on the website itself.
Normally everything gets checked before it's integrated into the site, but there's bound to be a mistake once in a while.
So if you come across something that doesn't look right. Wrong numbering or naming, missing image, or even a link that points to a 404 page or something, again, please let me know and I'll try to fix it as soon as possible. Wink
64BitJoker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

N64 Magazine Issue 4 & 6 iphone/ipod version is broken

Issue 7 iphone/ipod & tablet version is broken too

Shocked
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

Fixed them. Wink

If they still don't seem to work, you might want to empty your browser cache as the forwarding page might be stored in there for a bit.
Using a different browser would do the trick as well.
64BitJoker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »

thanks  Wink

But issue 7 tablet version is still broken  Shocked
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »

It should be working again now.

As they update their servers and do maintenance on them files do tend to go down or get corrupted.
The problem is that we never know which ones stop working until someone reports them, so thank you for doing this. Smiley
64BitJoker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:12:10 AM »

Ok it seems to be working, downloading right now  Smiley
64BitJoker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »

Sorry if this is off-topic, but when will all the other n64 mag issues be uploaded? If only 1 issue is uploaded about once every few months i will be a granddad when the last issue arrives :p
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »

Well the problem with that is that I'm working on most of these myself and I really want to have a bit of variety going as well as keep the quality at the level that it is right now. So that takes quite a bit of time. Between 30-40 hour for a 100 page magazine depending on how pristine the issue is.
Today for instance I was able to edit about 25 pages in total, which is a lot since most other days I'm happy if I can do 10.
But I jumped between the next CVG, OSSM and Super Play to keep my workflow going and keep from getting bored working on the same design for 6 hours on end.
dan

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 07:29:33 AM »

Just to let you know, VultureStreet and myself are scanning N64 magazine issues, and Kiwi is editing and uploading them to http://www.oldgamemags.com/ - they're not as pristine as Meppi's releases in terms of quality, but they certainly are readable.

Dan
samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:21 AM »

Hi, firstly I want to sincerely thank you guys for the amazing effort in scanning and uploading these magazines. They were a big part of my youth and its great to be able to peruse them again and relive the memories and excitement of the early days of Sega and Nintendo from 8bit Master System (my first console) through to N64 and Dreamcast. I was one of those few people who had less happily remembered systems including Mega CD, 32X, 3DO, Jaguar and others (I wasn't rich, unfortunately I could only afford them once they were almost dead systems with massively reduced prices, but I clearly remember the hype!), so it's amazing to relive all the news and developments with hindsight.

Just wanted to let you know that the link for Official Saturn Magazine 29 appears to be dead. I'd be very grateful of a re-up? Cheesy

I'm really looking forward to seeing more magazines appear over time, hopefully eventually making "complete" collections. I was very pleased to see the recent "Sega Magazine" issue 1 uploaded, if you guys could eventually get all of those up there I'd be so grateful, I loved that Mag (and period of games). Also really loving looking through Sega Pro - more issues going through the CD and 32X period would be hugely appreciated!

Anyway once again many thanks for these, really enjoying them and it is a very worthwhile cause to preserve these peices of gaming history! Smiley
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »

Hi and first of all welcome to the board!
I actually didn't have any of the systems you mentioned back in the day either, not to mention a Neo Geo.
Only after 2000 when I got a steady job was I able to buy things like a Jaguar, if only for Tempest 2000 and a Neo Geo, which I now don't even buy 1 game a year for even though there are still lots I'd like to have.

You'd be happy to hear that I've been working on Official Sega Magazine issue 2 this past week as well as Mean Machines Sega 1. Both are still a way off though and I need to scan the remaining pages of both of them before I can continue editing. Just started scanning the next Sega Pro issue as well and that's certainly an easier magazine to restore and edit since nearly all the pages use a ton of colour so that masks the ageing nicely.
Not to mention the paper used didn't absorb as much dirt and smoke over the years, so they are very clean to begin with.

Seems like there was an issue with the download link for issue 29 of OSSM where instead of http it said hhttp, so the link appeared to be broken.
Sorry for that. It should work perfectly again. Smiley
samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »

Thank you for fixing the link, just downloaded the magazine Smiley Been going through these and reliving the Saturn years, I remember being rather unimpressed with the Saturn's launch price and launch games, and for about a year I stopped reading about Sega stuff (around this time I bought a Mega CD and 32X second hand, and got all the games that I'd always wanted for those systems at a bargain price and ignored the Saturn... til one day I bought one second hand with a copy of Sega Rally, and couldn't believe how good it was! I instantly realised my mistake and got hold of every Saturn magazine I could and followed the poor system as better and better games came out for it, whilst it died a slow death. I even modded it and imported many exclusive Japanese games... I loved that console, and still do. Refused to get a Playstation, until finally swayed by FFVII, but just wouldn't let the Saturn die even then! I was not about to make the same mistake with the Dreamcast and bought one on launch. I believe that Sega Magazine, the Official Saturn and official Dreamcast magazines shared many of the same team? They were very nicely made magazines.

I'm very glad to hear that it is comparatively easy for you to scan and restore Sega Pro because that was certainly my favourite mag back in the day, not least because it was very fair with its coverage of Master System, Game Gear, MCD and 32X titles, whereas others seemed to be Megadrive centric. That said, I also really enjoyed Mean Machines Sega, especially in 94-95.

I wasn't just a Sega fan, I bought a SNES for SFII Turbo, loved the Gameboy, and was absolutely chomping at the bit for the "Ultra 64" because I saw a video preview of Mario 64 on Bad Influence and was blown away. Its great to see you restoring magazines covering these consoles as well, I certainly bought enough of them back in the day too. One seemingly uncommon magazine was "GB Action", which was a nicely made magazine about the original Gameboy I read in 94-95. I wonder if you have ever seen any copies? Seems that no matter who I ask, I'm the only one who remembers it!

You mention Neo-Geo - I was such an arcade fan and loved the games, but I've never been able to justify the prices for the games. I used to own an MVS arcade machine because the cartridges for it were actually cheaper than the home ones! (unfortunately my arcade machines had to go when my family got bigger and house got smaller! Wink )

Earlier today I saw the page on your site explaining the frankly heroic efforts you are making to restore these magazines and not just scan them, can I just say once more how very very grateful I am for these efforts. As time goes by, these magazines will become completely lost in time without your efforts, and I really do think you are doing an incredible job and a great service to preserving the heritage of this golden age of games.  Grin
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »

Thank you for your very generous words. Smiley

Seems like we share a somewhat similar pad when it comes to the Saturn.
I must have told this story two dozen times and I'm sure most are sick of hearing it, but here goes.
I bought the PSone on release day even though most of the games didn't impress me, till I saw WipEout. That blew me away and I knew I needed the machine.
WipEout has actually been the game for which I've bought nearly all my Sony systems, PSone, PSP, PS3 and Vita. Got the PS2 for Virtua Fighter 4 and the PS4 for.... Eum Resogun I guess. Wink

After getting a N64 as well, even a couple of months before the Belgium launch since it was delayed in certain EU countries for whatever reason, the PSone had established itself as the cool system and thus was getting loads of games that didn't interest me at all. I like to call that the brown-polly era. Wink

So I started doing some research by reading up on the Saturn in all my CVG and Joypay issues as well as EGM to see if it had enough games to justify the purchase for me.
After deciding to get one I lucked out and got a great deal from a gameshop, so that I could take home the system with Sega Rally and Fighters Megamix, even though the bundle was with some old sports game originally and FM had just been released a week or so before.

Never looked back. Fell in love with the system as I did with my Vita just recently.
Instantly rekindled my love for Sega which had lessened a little after the Mega Drive, especially the add-ons which didn't get the support they deserved.
So from that moment on I followed Sega till the very last days of the Dreamcast and imported tons of Japanese only games as well.
The PSone did pull me back in though with FF7, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, but the Saturn became my go to system and my favourite system of all time.
So sad what happened to them. It's just not the same today without them in the hardware business and with their top teams intact.

Even though they still publish some of the most fun games out there at times. Just look at the Yakuza series, Bayonetta, Vanquish and Binary Domain for instance.

OSSM was nearly impossible to get over her at the time, so I was very late to the party.
The first issue I got my hands on was nr. 35 not knowing it was all about to be over very soon.
The little import shop that I used to visit by train every month to buy my Japanese games from ordered these themselves from the UK.

It's actually the magazine that got me into all of this in the first place a handful of years ago.
I came across a badly scanned issue of it online that had pages missing and everything, so I went looking for more. When finding digital copies was impossible with the exception of 2-3 issues, I decided to buy the whole set myself and start scanning them.

I've actually already been over the complete set twice if you can believe it. Lol
The first attempt at scanning was very crude and not good at all, so I decided to redo the whole set after I though myself some tricks in Photoshop. When starting this site nearly 5 years ago, I once again threw out the old scans and decided to up the quality once more, aiming to get them as close to perfection as possible. Certainly in a way that I myself would not be able to improve upon them, and so far that seems to have been the case. Cheesy

That is also the reason why the OoPA set is not complete yet, while several other site do have a full set of these magazines. They took my old versions and put them online in other places.
But I'm not happy with them myself as I know I can do better now, thanks to the newer equipment but also all the experience I gained from doing this for so many years now.
So if a new issue goes online, it's actually that: a brand new issue.
I now have multiple physical copies of each of them so it's not even the same magazine that is being scanned anymore. And of course the care and attention that is being given to each page is on another level than what I was capable of back then.
Not saying that the scans are absolutely perfect, but certainly that they are the best I'm able to do with them.
samuelvictor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 03:52:15 AM »

Thanks for the detailed response, I enjoyed reading a little insight into how you became involved with this and got into videogames. Completely agree on the "brown-polly" era!

I can completely empathise with buying a Playstation for WipEout. It was the one game that really tempted me at the time. I was hugely impressed by 2097 when it first came out, and that was the first game I bought for Playstation when I got it with FFVII, its also the reason that I bought a PSP. Really love the art, music and controls of a good WipEout game. Unfortunately the Saturn versions weren't as smooth as they should have been, and the lack of the "proper" music was a shame. Playstation really was the best way to play the first 3 games.

Seems like we did indeed follow a similar path with Saturn and Dreamcast, I too supported both systems, including import stuff until their very last breath. It really is a sadder place without Sega machines but as you say at least they are still producing games, many of which are excellent. Cool that they are also working so closely with Nintendo (who'd have thought it!), though I must admit I've not yet bought a WiiU, despite wanting to play the latest Sonic game, being tempted by Mario 3D Land, but still not made the plunge yet.

Thanks again for the restoration work on the magazines, really looking forward to seeing the new ones as they are uploaded over time. Smiley
Nreive
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

One seemingly uncommon magazine was "GB Action", which was a nicely made magazine about the original Gameboy I read in 94-95. I wonder if you have ever seen any copies? Seems that no matter who I ask, I'm the only one who remembers it!

Hey, samuelvictor. While I never read GB Action during its original release, I certainly had seen it since.  I reported on its launch in my old 'Back in Time' article right here at OoPA.  there are also a handful of issues available over at http://www.oldgamemags.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: