Out of Print Archive forum
March 23, 2017, 12:13:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dreamcast Feature  (Read 681 times)
Retron

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »

So I read the Dreamcast feature in the features section and I have a few questions

1-The article says the last game was released in Feb. '02 but the Dreamcast magazine scans is from April 02. They still printed official magazine after quitting the console ?!

2-The magazine(April 02) had an interview and a feature with the Half-Life studio that the game is coming up. Who would publish an interview like that in an issue giving a farewell to the console?

3-The Studio head behind Half-Life (which is very late entry in the life of the DC) mentioned that Sega and Sierra had big announcements for the DC coming up about multiplayer. I was under the impression they knew the DC was dying at least 6 months earlier?! What was the secret announcement?

4-Finally, why did they never release Half-Life? They put the work in, they might as well sell something even for $10. After all, there was an install base of 10M DCs or just as many as Wii U's now.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »

I would actually like to know the answer to 2 and 3 myself. My speculation would be that the discontinuation of the Dreamcast came as a surprise to most 3rd parties and possibly even to internal developers.
From what I've read over the years it seems like Sega tried to hold of discontinuing the system as long as possible in an attempt to turn things around. Sadly that didn't happen and rampant piracy certainly didn't help their financials.

As for question 1, that really isn't so surprising.
Just look at the Official Sega Saturn Magazine for instance. While the Saturn wasn't discontinued in the same manner as the Dreamcast, it certainly was dead in the water long before the magazine finally stopped.
Although in their case they were trying to keep their readership till the Dreamcast was released in Europe with the hope that they would change into the Official Dreamcast Magazine, but that didn't happen since the licence went from EMAP to Future.

Number 4 is again a bit of speculation, but from what I remember, the game was indeed just about finished.
The reason it wasn't released was because in their estimations, the numbers just didn't add up.
Releasing a game along with marketing costs a ton of money, so it was decided to cut their losses with just the development, and not eat even more losses with a possible failed launch and marketing campaign.
A real shame if you ask me. Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: