Out of Print Archive forum
March 25, 2017, 03:37:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rescued a little hedgehog  (Read 405 times)
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:07:38 AM »

I picked up this little guy on my way home from work last night.

[

Each day I drive to and from home to work on my bicycle on this small road:

There's very few cars that drive on there but still enough to see a handful of bunny's being flattened on a weekly basis. Sad
So last night as I was driving home in the pitch dark, I notice this little black ball down on the road.
I step of to pick up this tiny hedgehog and am about to put him in the grass on the side of the road as I notice a car coming up in the distance. I also notice how small this little guy is and wonder if he's big enough to get through the winter like this.
So I decided to take him home.

Now don't panic. I'm not trying to keep him as a pet or anything.
I have a family of at least 4 hedgehogs living in my garden which I've been feeding for a couple of months now as you're only supposed to do this before and after the summer.
I put him in a carrying cage for cats for the night, gave him water and some dry cat food and he's been eating nicely.
I noticed this morning that he has his stool is quite soft, so I'm going to keep him a couple more days until he's healthy enough te release. If it doesn't improve I'll call animal rescue.
Right now I put him outside in the garden underneath an overhang, so that when it rains, he remains dry. Got him some dry leaves as well so he can curl up and sleep during the day.
I'm hoping that tonight, when the others come to feed, they notice him/her and check her out, get familiar and hopefully adopt her into the group by the time I'm able to release her.
Really crossing my fingers that all this goes right for the little one.

I now live in the countryside, so that's certainly a plus.
Got all kinds of critters here in the garden, from frogs, mice, all kinds of birds (up to 50 at once during breeding time) and a bunch of Koi's. Sometimes even ducks and a rabbit or two and even a falcon. Smiley

One day later the little guy is doing very well. He's been eating a ton and best of all, the other hedgehogs have all come to check him out last night. Smiley
I put their food next to his cage instead of in the usual spot and thus, they were able to get accustomed to each other.
Gonna see if his droppings normalise and if all goes well, I'll be able to release him tomorrow night. Crossing fingers.

And a little videoclip as well. Wink

https://youtu.be/9Bub0LiNnS0
Nreive
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »

Wow, those animals are regular visitors by the sounds of it and who can blame them. That garden looks great, so peaceful and relaxing.
meppi
Administrator

EDF! EDF! EDF!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:49:38 PM »

Yeah it's such a huge difference from the place that I used to live. That was a true hellhole while it's so peaceful out here.
Really needed the peace and quiet as I was not doing well and started having all kinds of medical issues due to stress alone. It was all just too much after so many years of abuse and living amongst horrible people.

I'm really starting to enjoy life again since I've moved here. And you'll probably understand why I have fewer time to work on magazines.
Besides the 45 minute bike ride to work every day, the garden and home need a lot of work to keep everything in order.
Just this week alone I've taken a week vacation so I would be able to trim all the hedges, trees and bushes to get everything ready for the wintertime.

The little guy seems to be doing great too btw.
I left his cage open yesterday evening so that when he woke up he could finally join the other hedgehogs after getting accustomed to them over the weekend.
Just an hour ago, around 12PM I saw him again as he came back to eat. Smiley
Watched him for a while as he ate and drank and then slowly waggled his way underneath the bushes in the same direction where the others always go. So I think he'll be right at home, which is quite the relief.

You never know if things will work out or not, and it certainly was going through my mind constantly the last couple of days if I did the right thing or not.
Seems like everything is working out perfectly. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: